Monday, February 12, 2007

Blog post frequency

I know that the common wisdom is that a good blog should have new posts every day. I understand this, and respect that. However, the reality is that a lot of us--me included--only have so much free time in a day. So far on this blog, I've posted pretty much every weekday because there was just a lot of ground that I wanted to cover to get this thing going.

Now that things are properly kicked off, so to speak, I expect to be making a couple of posts per week. It's not that I'm losing interest, but blogging really has to take a backseat to my real job, and writing. And hey, my wife would like to see some of me, too.

I've said from the start that I'm not going to be putting up daily word counts, or the daily adventures of our cats, and the number of informative posts that I can generate per week is probably less than five. But we'll see. I just don't want anyone to get irritated because their expectations for this blog are different from my own.

To all of you who have kept checking back with me: thanks! Expect another post on writing later this week, probably Thurday or Friday.

4 comments:

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Just as with writing, whatever works for you.

Christopher M. Park said...

Thanks, Rachel. I figured as much, but I didn't want people thinking that I started the blog, got their attention, and then lost interest and abandonded it all. It's just a matter of finding the posting freqency that is most comfortable for the rest of my life, and I'm sure that that frequency will change over time.

Annalisa said...

For the record, I wouldn't mind at all hearing about the daily adventures of your cats. (I'm crazy about cats--but don't worry I only have two.) I also, personally, rather enjoy the frantic word count updates that some author bloggers do. That said, I appreciate how professional and focused your blog is, and I agree with Rachel that you should run it however you want to run it. I look forward to your updates.

Christopher M. Park said...

Annalisa,
You've hit the nail on the head. I'm just trying to keep the blog focused. I have a ton of other interests that I could easily blog about, but while you might be interested in hearing about my three cats (Annalise, Elwyn, and Perry--our fourth, Morgan, had leukemia and we had to put him to sleep in December...), you would probably have zero interest in my thoughts on programming technique, how I hate the new interface of SQL Management Studio 2005, what I think about the dual-core CPUs that are being pushed by AMD and Intel these days, or my reviews of the latest RTS strategy games.

I don't know, maybe that stuff would broaden the appeal of my blog, and maybe I'll get into all that sometime later (now that I understand this labels concept of blogger.com, it would be much easier for people to filter out that which does not interest them).

We'll see how this evolves, but for now my intent is to keep it purely writing-focused. Thanks for the kind words!

Chris