Saturday, June 2, 2007

More Progress On Chapter 9

Woohoo! Two productive writing nights in a row; 1,700 words tonight. This is the habit that I keep trying to get back into. Here's hoping it sticks this time. What I need to keep reminding myself of is that my first draft doesn't need to be perfect. It's far easier to revise for higher quality than it is to write the really high quality stuff on the first go-round. I do so much editing of my own work that I should be able to remember that, but it's been proving easier to forget than I'd like.

But really, I'm pretty happy with the results of my last two writing sessions, anyway. It will require editing of course, as all my first draft writing does, but there's nothing majorly wrong with it that I can see at this point. Sometimes when I write something for my first draft, I feel like it's total crap even after I've just finished writing it. One of my now-favorite scenes in THE GUARDIAN started out that way, but after a few rounds of editing it became one of the most emotionally-charged scenes in the book for me. Funny how things like that can happen. Keeping that in mind should be a good inspiration for me to remember that there's less pressure on my first draft than I sometimes feel like.

As a side note, this is my 100th blog post. Time really flies, doesn't it?


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
23,520 / 80,000 (29.4%)

No comments: