Thursday, December 6, 2007

Another Scene Down

Only a page and a half today, but that was a complete (brief!) scene. I also revised my content from last session. My day job bled into the night the last couple of days, which cut into my writing time in a major way, aside from sapping all my energy. Nothing bad, just lots of end-of-year stuff. Hopefully now I'm fairly caught up, though, and won't have to do that again in the coming weeks.

Today's scene was very brief, but I think that's a nice counterpoint to the longer ones I usually write. I also think it was a fitting length for this particular scene, which ends suddenly and surprisingly. I had been a little unsure how to write this one, but it turns out that I was thinking I was going to write it from one perspective, but really needed to write it from another character's pov. What would have been expected and relatively uninteresting the first way became something surprising and unexpected this way. And brief! Let's me move on to the next scene, which is more important anyway, which is good.

Now I just need to figure out exactly how I want to write that one. Sometimes having the right plan is well over half the battle. I don't expect to get much done on that tomorrow, though, since that's my birthday and I'll likely be otherwise occupied. The big twenty-five! I'm not sure if it seems stranger that I've lived a quarter of a century, or that I've only lived a quarter of a century.

The stats as of today:
-45,500 estimated words.
-53,639 actual words.
-Nine and a portion fully-revised-and-expanded chapters (149 pages total).
-182 pages in all.

6 comments:

Stephen Parrish said...

Happy birthday. When I was twenty-five writers still wrote on typewriters. You probably don't know what those are, but trust me, there are good reasons time only moves in one direction.

Christopher M. Park said...

Haha, I've used a typewriter before. My Mom had one when I was a kid, even though we had several computers at the time, too. Old Tandy computers, XTs, etc, had not exactly demonstrated word processing prowess at that point. I definitely prefer the modern stuff to the typewriter, though!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Karen Mahoney said...

Belated Birthday wishes, Chris! Hope you had a great day, and that you're extending your celebrations into the weekend. :)

Dwight's Writing Manifesto said...

Dude, you've got to eliminate that real life component of your existence.

It's getting in the way of your word count.

Me? I'm a hobo, writing in Internet cafes and libraries because my wife left me for spending too much time at the keyboard and my boss caught me writing at work.

You should try it.

Ooops. Gotta run. Somebody at the Starbucks just threw away a barely eaten Fratata. YUM!

Christopher M. Park said...

Thanks, Karen! I certainly was. :)

Christopher M. Park said...

Haha, Dwight. You know, whenever I run into anyone who really espouses something along the lines of that viewpoint, I'm always tempted to ask them where they get their writing material. It's like trying to be a photographer without ever leaving your darkroom.